First up, what I will be making, the Irene Adler hat from Sherlock Holmes:
For the character of Irene Adler I was most happy to have my old standard straight stitch!!
The hat blank, made of buckram.
Using a flannel (because there was no velvet or felt available in enough time to cover the hat) I covered the crown.
I hand sewed the crown cover…
and then covered the crown.
For the brim I had to sew the inside (where the crown and brim would attach, and then pin the edges and sewed them. I did this to both sides.
Please excuse the books lined on the floor, my book shelves collapsed and I haven’t gotten new ones.
After this, I added bias to the edges to cover the edges of the brim. Then attached the crown and brim together.
Using my steamer and a curling iron (not on) I used it to roll up one side of the brim:
I then added a piece of fabric to be used as a ribbon around the crown.
Now for styling the wig:
The wig on:
Completed (doing alterations to Watson’s coat at the con):
Holmes, Adler and Watson